Rural Rhythm Records Live Recording Includes Stellar Performances
Graves Mountain Festival of Music’s Historic Event
On June 4, 2010, some of bluegrass music’s favorite artists took part in Rural Rhythm Records 55th Anniversary Celebration at the Graves Mountain Festival of Music in Syria, Virginia. The day-long event was emceed by Sirius-XM Radio Host, Kyle Cantrell who said, “I don’t know when I’ve had a better time or heard better music! In this picturesque, out-of-the-way place in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the top stars in bluegrass shared songs with adoring crowds that had come from all over, and on that stage you could feel the love of both musician and fan. It was truly a great experience that you had to hear to believe.”
This historic live event was recorded for a special album titled, “GRAVES MOUNTAIN JAM – RECORDED LIVE (Rural Rhythm’s 55 Year Celebration)”scheduled for release on October 26, 2010. Sirius-XM will broadcast highlights of the show on Labor Day holiday weekend 2010.
The tremendous task of sound engineering was handled by Gene Daniell who has over 30 years experience in the Audio Arts specializing in Bluegrass and Acoustic performances. Gene Daniell and Mark Newton will begin the mixing and mastering process in a few weeks at Gene’s Studio in Marietta, Georgia.
Sam Passamano, Jr., President of Rural Rhythm Records said, “The Graves Mountain Festival of Music is a wonderful place to enjoy Bluegrass Music and the Graves Family are the finest people you will ever meet. We are so grateful to the Graves Family who totally embraced our Rural Rhythm 55 Year Celebration event along with thousands of bluegrass fans. I would especially like to thank Kyle Cantrell, Mark Newton, Carl Jackson, Gene Daniells and all our Rural Rhythm artists who made this a very special historic event.”
The show was produced by bluegrass artist, Mark Newton and Rural Rhythm Record’s President, Sam Passamano, Jr. “This live recording done at such a wonderful venue and established festival like Graves’ Mountain Festival of Music will be a Landmark project and one for the history books that fans will enjoy for years to come. It doesn’t get any better then the talent on stage like The Crowe Brothers, Carrie Hassler, Brand New Strings, Audie Blaylock & Redline, Lou Reid & Carolina, The Lonesome River Band and Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out. You add Carl Jackson and myself along with the talent above on the original song that Carl wrote ‘Graves Mountain Memories,’ and it makes for a memorable special gathering that will stand the test of time and represents this music at its best” said Newton.
The song, “Graves Mountain Memories,” was performed by: Lou Reid (Vocal), Russell Moore (Vocal), Audie Blaylock (Vocal), Carrie Hassler (Vocal), Carl Jackson (Vocal & Guitar), Mark Newton (Vocal & Guitar) with Sammy Shelor (Banjo); Mike Hartgrove (Fiddle); Wayne Benson (Mandolin), and Mike Anglin (Bass). Other magical and once of a lifetime special performances included:
- “When I Stop Dreaming”, “More Pretty Girls Than One“ – The Crowe Brothers with special guests: Russell Moore, Sammy Shelor and Mike Hartgrove
- “Grandma’s Boardside Cabin“ – The Crowe Brothers (New song written by Josh Crowe)
- “Head Over Heels” – Carrie Hassler with Brand New Strings and special guest Brandon Rickman
- “When You Say Nothing At All”, “Crazy”, “I Surrender All“ – Carrie Hassler with Brand New Strings
- “High On A Hilltop”, “Sunny Side Of The Mountain“ – Audie Blaylock and Redline
- “Old Dangerfield“ – Audie Blaylock and Redline with special guest Wayne Benson
- “Once More” – Audie Blaylock and Redline with special guests Russell Moore and Lou Reid
- “Get In Line Brother” – Audie Blaylock and Redline with special guests: Russell Moore and Carrie Hassler
- “Lonesome River” – Lou Reid & Carolina with special guest Russell Moore
- “Oh, Lord Have Mercy On My Soul” – Lou Reid & Carolina (a capella)
- “Time”, “When It Rains”, “Amanda Lynn” (Hits) – Lou Reid & Carolina
- “Hold What’cha Got“ – Lonesome River Band with special guest Audie Blaylock
- “Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms”, “Cabin Home On The Hill” – Lonesome River Band with special guest The Crowe Brothers
- “Carolyn The Teenage Queen”, “Long Gone”, “Them Blues” (Hits) – Lonesome River Band
- “Wade In The Water” – Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out (a capella)
- “John & Mary”, “Erase The Miles”, “Grandpa’s Mandolin”, “Hard Rock Mountain Prison” (Hits) – Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out
- “I’ve Waited As Long As I Can” – Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out with special guest: Mike Hartgrove
- “Ground Speed”, “Home Sweet Home” – ALL-STAR JAM featuring Carl Jackson and Sammy Shelor – Twin Banjos
More about Graves Mountain:
The Graves Mountain Festival of Music has been a tradition for 18 years. Graves Mountain is east of Charlottesville, VA located 38 miles at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Graves Mountain Lodge has been in existence close to 400 years which has been passed down from one generation to the next.
It’s a family operation that is owned by Jimmy and Rachel Graves with their sons Lucky and Lynn. Part of the tradition is their apples, jams and jelly’s which they distribute in the southeast. Over the years, the festival has developed into one of the largest in the State of Virginia – and for that matter, some folks say one of the best in the U.S. Historically, it is arguably one of the hottest markets for bluegrass music. The fans in the area very educated in bluegrass music which has been passed down from one generation to the next.
View a Flickr SLIDESHOW of more photos from Graves Mountain Festival of Music